Friday, January 26, 2007

Our life these days.....



Here is a picture of where I spend my days.....at this desk.....
The wonderful natural history museum is being difficult....welcome to Kenya everyone keeps telling me. I do have the permit, but apparently the permit granting people shouldn't have given it to me with my paying for affiliation. No one knows how this could have happened....at any rate I am working on that and it looks like it will cost some money....welcome to Kenya.

Working from home is, of course, not the worst thing but motivation can be tricky! But I can work on papers and such...no internet which is a real bummer.

But it is even worse for Brandon. His office is a comedy of errors. He is doing an amazing job of juggling all his projects...but the internet doesn't always work and the tech guy can't be found. OR the building is locked, in the middle of the day, and no one can get in-or out!

Plus everything, no matter how simple seems to take weeks....welcome to Kenya!

It is not all bad...I am taking Swahili at the Anglican Church which is quite a trip! I take private lessons three days a week which is very useful but they do like to teach things like Jesus loves you in Swahili (Jesus anakupenda-if you are curious). It seems that most of the clientele are missionaries. But it is right near the house and I can walk and they serve very yummy tea at 10:30.

Work issues aside we are managing to get around. The traffic is out of control..we can't figure out quite why the police just look at the traffic more than directing per se. Sometimes we get out to the main street and that's it....no movement. This would all be fine expect that it is not safe to walk at night....so it takes special planning. So that is it...that is our life these days....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

No internet at home!?? How do you survive? Good to hear you're doing well outside of that though.

Andrea said...

Your stories are so much fun to read - especially when you are trying to ignore coffee shop conspiracy theorists and get through a paper on participatory governance. Miss you both!

Andrea said...

It's so interesting to hear about your adventures...quite a different experience than listening to coffee shop conspiracy theorists (which I'm having the pleasure of bearing currently). Miss you both-

Carolyn Guthrie said...

Tobin gave us an African cookbook and fresh spices for Christmas. Last night I got to try them out. We had friends over for an African dinner with music; I played the sound track for "Out of Africa" and "Missa Luba", a CD I've had for years and have always loved. It has an East African Mass, Kenyan Folk Melodies, and the Muungano National Choir of Kenya. For dinner we had Injera, which, I think, is what we had at your very fun wedding shower with your mom and friends at Carolyn's. We had Lamb Curry with Yellow Rice, Mustard Greens and Corn, and Mango-Papaya Kulfi for dessert. It was all very good, and it made me feel we were eating dinner with you in your wicker apartment. We talked about both of you and wondered what you might be doing on a Sunday morning, and we Google Earthed Nairobi and gave you a wave. It was a fun African evening, but I'm mindful of our abundance amid many Africans who may never see such a dinner.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ms. Henderson-Guthrie! I can't wait to see you in Philly and see more pictures and hear more stories. You are so fabulous! I HAVE to start up on my Kiswahili refresher courses (with myself) if I'm coming to Kenya this summer. Just wish you were going to be there. Stay safe and get back here so we can all give you big hugs!

Nakupenda malaika!! (that's from a nice African song)

Caitlin